Historic River Forest Country Club
From Native Americans to Andrew Carnegie to RFCC lifetime members.
Every May, River Forest hosts the annual Massy Harbison historical presentation, luncheon and walking tour. The Massey Harbison Massacre occurred on River Forest property May 21, 1792.
From the December 1905 Telegraph:
"Andrew Carnegie has been requested to mark the spot where stood the cabin of John and Massa Harbison, two of the earliest settlers along the banks of the Allegheny River, and a couple who took part in the early history of western Pennsylvania. ~ The spot where this cabin stood is now a portion of a large tract of land purchased by Mr. Carnegie about three years ago...within 100 yards of this old cabin, on the south bank of the Allegheny River once stood a fort known as Reed Station which was erected about 1791 by settlers. ~ The descendants of this woman are scattered all over Pennsylvania...and there are perhaps 200 families in Pitsburgh and round-about who are her direct descendants. ~ The story of Massa Harbison was once a household tale. Born in 1770... "
River Forest Celebrated 40 Years August 2006:
River Forest Country Club, along with area businesses, celebrated the past forty years of great golf with golf,receptions, and of course, birthday cake.
Jo Szwarc, with her husband Lennie who passed away in 1994, became a member at RFCC when the club opened in the mid-1960s. Jo is an active member who plays with the "Tuesday Ladies League" and has won the Ladies 54 Hole Tournament in 2003 and the Ladies Memorial Tournament in 2006. She is a tough competitor, who plays every shot, and then stops in the Grill Room to ponder the round that "could have been." Congratulations, Jo!
Wed also like to introduce you to our members whove been with us all along, since RFCC opened in 1965.
John "Campy" Comperatore, John "Jano" Kovac, Jim Fair , and George Rich.
Making The News July 23, 1965: